On this page
Before moving into a new home, you will have signed a contract. This may be a tenancy agreement or lease depending on the type of home that you have.
This is a legal document that sets out in detail what we expect of you, and what you can expect from us. Managing your home and making sure you are happy as a Sanctuary tenant is a joint responsibility. We need to work together.
This page explains some of the key responsibilities we both have towards one another.
Please read your tenancy agreement or lease carefully so you know your responsibilities in full. The information below provides an overview of your responsibilities.
As your landlord, we are responsible for:
Providing you with information on our services
Carrying out any necessary repairs (where we are responsible) within a fixed timescale
Providing you with the information we have about you
Consult you on any changes to your rent or service charges
Keep communal areas clean and tidy (if we charge you for this service)
Allow you to swap homes with a housing association or local authority tenant, if specified in your tenancy agreement and with our written permission
Address your complaint if we fail to deliver any aspect of our service
Give notice of any legal proceedings
Give at least one month’s notice of any changes in rent or service charges
Keep your data and information safe and secure
As a tenant, you are responsible for:
Paying your rent and other charges on time
Using your home as your only or principal home
Be a good neighbour, taking responsibility for the behaviour of anyone living with you, plus any pets or visitors
Ask for permission for relevant things.
Give us at least 4 weeks notice if you intend to move out. Please refer to your tenancy agreement.
Being respectful to our staff and contractors
Allowing us access to your home to complete repairs and safety work
Keeping your home, garden and communal areas in good order
Reporting repairs in a timely manner or as soon as they occur
Our service standards (or ‘Local Offers’) are our commitments to you. These were developed with feedback from almost 2,000 residents and are detailed below:
Our Service Standards
- We will respond to emergency repairs within 24 hours.
- If a repair is not urgent, residents will be offered a morning or afternoon appointment.
- If we fail to fix a repair on the first visit, we will provide the date of a further appointment.
- We will make sure properties are safe and compliant with health and safety law.
- We will make sure properties are maintained to the Decent Homes Standard.
- We will make it clear what somebody should do if they experience antisocial behaviour.
- We will also respond within one working day if a serious incident is reported.
- We will make sure our neighbourhoods are well maintained.
- If a resident wants to move home, we will help them identify options to meet their needs.
- We will provide an annual assessment of our performance against plans and objectives.
- We will comply with all relevant legislation and regulation and remain accountable to our residents and partners.
- We will use external credit rating companies to check our performance and make sure we continue to be financially strong.
- Our Group Board is committed to effective leadership and controlling the organisation and supporting residents to shape and scrutinise the services we provide.
- We will make it easy for our residents to contact us if they have a problem or want information or advice.
- If a staff member cannot resolve a query immediately, they will explain the process and the timescale for resolution.
- If a resident has a problem, we will keep them regularly informed about how we are dealing with their query or complaint, and the reason for any changes.
- If a resident cannot get through or has to leave a message, someone will call them back within one working day (Monday to Friday).
- Information on the level of service that can be expected from us is available on our website.
- We will provide training for staff to ensure they are competent, knowledgeable and treat everyone as a valued customer.