Search the website

Antisocial behaviour

On this page

We want all our residents to live in a safe and peaceful environment.

We take any reports of antisocial behaviour (ASB) very seriously.

We work with our residents and communities to help address these issues and their causes.

If you are concerned for the safety of yourself or others, then always call the police on 999.

Watch our video to find out more about ASB and how to deal with it.

What is ASB?

Antisocial behaviour (ASB) refers to any action by a resident or visitor that negatively impacts the quality of life of others and violates the terms of the tenancy agreement.

It usually relates to behaviour that occurs over a longer period of time rather than a one-off incident.

Here are some of the most common types of ASB: 

What we don’t consider to be ASB

Behaviour that relates to different cultures or lifestyles, or behaviour that most people wouldn’t find unreasonable, is not normally considered ASB. 

 This includes: 

  • Cooking smells 

  • DIY between the hours of 7 am and 11 pm

  • Minor or occasional car repairs 

  • Children playing or young people gathering (unless they are being rowdy, abusive, causing damage or committing other crimes)

  • Someone parking lawfully outside your home 

  • Civic disputes between neighbours, such as boundary issues or shared driveways 

  • A one-off party 

  • Day-to-day living noises, including footsteps, dogs barking, and household appliances.

This doesn’t cover all situations but gives an idea of where we may not take action but where we can offer advice and guidance with your complaint.

Report antisocial behaviour

As well as dealing with reports of anti-social behaviour or neighbour nuisance, we can provide mediation and guidance, as well as signpost you to additional support.

This may involve offering advice and information, putting you in touch with other agencies that can help, providing extra security for your home, or talking to the police about what they can do.

If you experience or witness a criminal offence, this needs to be reported to the police. 

You can do this by calling 999 in an emergency, 111 if there is a non-urgent offence or by contacting your local police team. You can also report behaviours anonymously by visiting the Crimestoppers website or calling 0800 555 111

Additional information and support