On this page
What is home insurance?
Home insurance provides financial protection to you in the event of something happening to your property and/or belongings.
Depending on your policy you might be covered for theft, fire, flood, loss, accidental damage and more.
There are two types of home insurance:
- Buildings Insurance
- Contents Insurance
If you own your home
Specific arrangements about insurance are detailed in your lease. If we own the block of flats you live in or you are a shared owner, we will usually be responsible for insuring the property for any damage caused by fire, storms, and floods, etc.
As a leaseholder, you have a right to:
- A copy of the buildings insurance policy summary of cover which is available on request.
- Ask for proof that we have paid the insurance premium.
Making a claim
Details of how to make a claim are on the summary of cover, available on request. You are responsible for making a claim in respect of any damage or loss to your property. There may be an excess to pay, this would be your responsibility. There may also be time limits to apply so if you think you may have a claim, it’s important to make contact with insurers as soon as possible.
Buildings insurance does not cover your belongings in your home. We recommend you take out your own home contents insurance.
If you live in a house and own the freehold, we do not normally provide your buildings insurance. You should make your own arrangements for this. If you have any questions about insurance, please contact us.
If you rent your home
- Buildings Insurance - We insure your buildings against damage. This insurance covers the building structure and items such as your kitchen and bathroom. It does not cover any of your personal belongings.
We do not provide:
- Contents Insurance - Items generally covered by contents insurance includes; carpets or floor coverings, furniture, curtains, clothing, kitchen appliances and other valuables.
- We do not insure your possessions or the contents of your home.
The purchase of contents insurance is optional but we strongly recommend our customers have a home contents insurance policy.
How you can get contents insurance
We offer all our customer, tenants and leaseholders, a chance to insure their contents and personal possessions in an easy and affordable way through the My Home Contents Insurance Scheme.
My Home could provide peace of mind, knowing that your home contents and belongings are covered from fire, theft, storm, burst pipes, flood and other risks.